High blood sugar level leads to diabetes which if not diagnosed and treated, can cause health complications. Reason of increased blood sugar level is the hormone named as insulin produced by the pancreas, which helps glucose from the bloodstream to be absorbed by the cell. But when production of insulin slow-down or cells become resistant to insulin, it affects the sugar absorption from the bloodstream, which finally results in diabetic conditions.
Foot problems are very prevalent in diabetic patients. It affects your legs and feet by preventing proper blood flow (known as a peripheral vascular disease) and by damaging your nerves (known as diabetic neuropathy). Both conditions head to severe consequences, including amputation of the part.
It is rancorous truth that diabetes has no solution, but if one can change the lifestyle, it can reduce its effects. And the market also avails the fancy diabetic shoes for women and men, which maintain their style quotient too. Below we provide information about the various symptoms, treatment, and care of diabetic foot problem. Let’s have a look:
These are a few symptoms which point that you are suffering from diabetic issues:
- Lack of feeling or tickling sensation in legs and feet
- Blisters, corns and sores on feet
- Brittle, discoloured and thickened nails
- Ingrown toenails
- Foot deformity
- Severe infections
- Swelling in foot and ankle
These symptoms vary from person to person, but if you have any of these, go and consult a doctor for proper guidance or treatment.
- After getting diagnosed by a diabetic foot problem, focus on cure and further betterment. Go for the right treatment as recommended by the podiatrist.
- You can control a few foot problems by regular inspection and cleaning.
- With the help of antibiotics and antifungal ointments, you can get rid of the symptoms like corns, wounds, and mild infections.
- But problems like gangrene (dead tissues due to insufficient blood circulation) may require surgical treatment when a bacterial infection develops which can be life-threatening. Other issues like ingrown toenails, blisters in worse conditions need surgical treatment.
Caring about yourself is the first and best cure for any disease. To prevent any foot discomfort, follow proper cleanliness and hygienic regime for feet.
You can prevent some diabetic issues or improve your health condition by controlling your blood sugar level. And exercising and healthy eating help a lot in this. But do consult the doctor before following any diet plan and exercise type.
Other steps which help in improving your foot health are:
- Choose the right footwear:
One need to buy a shoe with a roomy toe box and a broad footbed. Don’t worry, about colour and design, as nowadays stores deliver diabetic shoes for women and men having trendy designs and hues without compromising the comfort of the feet.
- Wash, dry and moisturize:
Daily care for feet is essential, especially when you have diabetic issues. Wash them regularly with lukewarm warm water, pat dry with a soft towel and apply the right kind of moisturizer which keeps the feet soft and smooth.
- Never share your foot gear:
People sometimes share their footgear with their friends or loved ones. But if you have any foot problems like infection or blisters, then it can be harmful to them. And the same if you are using their foot gears like socks, or shoes.
- Never walk barefoot
Avoid walking barefoot even when you are at home. It saves your feet from wounds.